#aleph, #alephbet, #alphabet, #beginner Hebrew, #beginner reader, #bilingual, #bilingualchildren, #bilingualeducation, #bilingualkids, #Hebrew, #Hebrew for Children, #Hebrew for English Speaking Kids, #hebrew for kids, #hebrew silent letters, #hebrewABCs, #hebrewbible, #hebrewbooks, #hebrewforbeginners, #hebrewforchildren, #hebrewforkids, #hebrewlanguage, #HebrewLetters, #homeschool, #homeschooling, #homeschoolmoms, #ivrit, #jewish, #jewishbooks, #learninghebrew, #learninglanguage, #learninglanguages, #LetterBet, #MazorBooks, #nekudot, #nikud, #readingtolearn, #readtochildren, #shabbat, #shabbat Shalom, #shabbatshalom #nekudot #nikud #vowels, #silent letters, #sounds, #vowels
INTRODUCING THE LETTER GIMEL
- GIMEL is the third letter of the Hebrew Alphabet.
- The numerical value of GIMEL is 3
- In modern Hebrew, the frequency usage of the letter GIMEL is 1.26%.
- The sound of the Hebrew letter GIMEL is like ‘G’ in GIRL.
- GIMEL is one of six letters that may have a DAGESH (dot) in their ‘belly.’ In the past, a GIMEL with a DAGESH had a different sound. In modern Hebrew, there is no distinction between a GIMEL with or without a DAGESH. (For more about the DAGESH and NEKUDOT, click https://mazorbooks.wordpress.com/2020/08/20/nekudot
More about the Hebrew Letter GIMEL
- The GIMEL is spelled גמל (gimel, mem, lamed), same as the letters that spell GAMAL, a camel. The shape of the GIMEL is similar to that of a GAMAL, both with walking legs and long necks.
- The letters that comprise the letter GIMEL also spell GMUL – גמול. GMUL is one of the interesting words in Hebrew, which means one thing and its opposite. GMUL means ‘to receive compensation and acknowledgment but it also means to nourish, to give.
- Pension plans in Israel are called KUPAT GEMEL קופת גמל as in compensatory plan.
Girls and Boys’ Names that Begin with the Letter GIMEL
In generations past, most Hebrew speakers in Israel and Jews around the world chose Biblical names for their children. There used to be a clear distinction between girls’ and boys’ names. Though past name-choice practices are prevalent to this day, many parents do not limit themselves to Biblical nor gender-specific naming.
Below is a list of generally gender-specific names that begin with the letter GIMEL. Contemporary unisex names that begin with the letter GIMEL include GAL and GILI.
Words of Values that Begin with the Letter GIMEL
MazorBooks children’s books promote Good Values, and in that spirit, here are some Good Value words that begin with the letter GIMEL.
The number of words in the Hebrew language are far fewer than in English. However, oftentimes we find that a single Hebrew word can express multiple concepts, notions, and ideas
One of the listed VALUE words, GVURA, strength, means more than just brute strength. It denotes heroism, bravery, overcoming adversity, and standing up to things that are wrong and/or evil.
A Place in Israel that Begins with the Letter GIMEL
As Hebrew is the official language of the State of Israel, it stands to reason to include a place in this incredible country that begins with the letter GIMEL.
Coloring and Activity Pages – A Gift for You!
Click the following and get access to downloadable Hebrew related coloring and activity pages. (If you have subscribed to the MazorBooks Mailing list, you will receive the link to the new Activity Pack via email.)
More AlephBet and More fun information coming soon!
Keep visiting and let us know what you think!
GET ALL SIX ‘A Taste of HEBREW’ books for Kids
1. Hebrew Alphabet – http://amzn.to/2gkfU4U
2. Count in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2gkhDr3
3. Colors in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2fvCObN
4. Animals in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2fsHqMy
5. Fruits in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2f6SWBW
6. Opposites in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2sL1VMA
MazorBooks also offers two Hebrew Alphabet workbooks:
1. Color the Aleph-Bet (ages 3-6) – http://amzn.to/2t3Z2FB
2. The Hebrew Alphabet: Read, Write & Color (ages 6 & up) – http://amzn.to/2mJR6G5
Check out http://www.MazorBooks.com/hebrew.htm for more information
Follow Us on Instagram for fun daily posts Instagram.com/Hebrew4Kids
Join our New Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/hebrewnow