#alef, #aleph, #alephbet, #alphabet, #beginner Hebrew, #beginner reader, #bilingual, #bilingualchildren, #bilingualeducation, #bilingualkids, #Hebrew, #Hebrew for Children, #Hebrew for English Speaking Kids, #hebrew for kids, #hebrew silent letters, #hebrewABCs, #hebrewbible, #hebrewbooks, #hebrewforbeginners, #hebrewforchildren, #hebrewforkids, #hebrewlanguage, #HebrewLetters, #homeschool, #homeschooling, #homeschoolmoms, #ivrit, #jewish, #jewishbooks, #learninghebrew, #learninglanguage, #learninglanguages, #LetterBet, #MazorBooks, #nekudot, #nikud, #readingtolearn, #readtochildren, #shabbat, #shabbat Shalom, #shabbatshalom #nekudot #nikud #vowels, #silent letters, #sounds
INTRODUCING THE LETTER VAV
- VAV is the sixth letter of the Hebrew Alphabet.
- The numerical value of VAV is 6
- In modern Hebrew, the frequency usage of the letter VAV is 10.00%.
- The sound of the Hebrew letter VAV is like the V in ‘veil’.
- The letter VAV at the beginning of a word functions in two ways: It may be the consonant VAV, or it may be VAV HA-CHI-BUR – the joining, or bringing together VAV, which connects two words or parts of a sentence, as in the English word “and”.
- The letter VAV also functions as vowels.
The VAV with a dot on top is the CHO-LAM, the vowel “O”.
The VAV with a dot in the middle is the SHURUK, the vowel “U”.
Click the following to read more about the HEBREW ALPHABET vowel system
- VAV is also a world in Hebrew, meaning hook.
Names that Begin with the Letter VAV for Boys and Girls
In generations past, most Hebrew speakers in Israel and Jews ins the diaspora chose Biblical names for their children. Generally, names given to boys and girls were Biblical in origin and gender-specific. Nowadays, past name-choice practices are still prevalent, but many parents do not limit themselves to Biblical nor gender-specific naming.
There are no Biblical names (used by Jews) for boys or girls that begin with the letter VAV.
In modern Hebrew, there are a few VAV Hebrew names, as listed below.
Words of Values that Begin with the Letter VAV
MazorBooks children’s books promote Good Values. In that spirit, below is a list of Good Value words that begin with the letter VAV.
The fourth word in the list below is Vi-tur.
VI-TUR means conceding, giving in, yielding, or not standing on ceremony. Vi-tur is a value and a concept that, as you see, does not have one word in English that defins it. Vi-tur (or Vat-ra-nut) is a value that is high valued in Judaism, as it is generally expresses good will and the ability to put the other first.
VITUR – is conceding, yielding.
VATRANUT – is a human trait, a value in a person’s character: Being a “VATRAN” or having “VATRANUT” is possessing an attitude of leniency in expectations from others, behaving in a manner that benefits the other, sometimes at the expense of the self, and doing so with awareness and from a place of strength and conviction (rather than out of weakness).
A Place in Israel that Begins with the Letter VAV
As Hebrew is the official language of the State of Israel, it stands to reason to include a place in this incredible country that begins with the letter VAV
The choice this time is VADI KELT
Coloring and Activity Pages – A Gift for You!
Click the following and get access to downloadable Hebrew related coloring and activity pages.
(If you have subscribed to the MazorBooks Mailing list, you will receive the link to the new Activity Pack via email.)
More AlephBet and More fun information coming soon!
Keep visiting and let us know what you think!
GET ALL SIX ‘A Taste of HEBREW’ books for Kids
1. Hebrew Alphabet – http://amzn.to/2gkfU4U
2. Count in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2gkhDr3
3. Colors in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2fvCObN
4. Animals in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2fsHqMy
5. Fruits in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2f6SWBW
6. Opposites in Hebrew – http://amzn.to/2sL1VMA
MazorBooks also offers two Hebrew Alphabet workbooks:
1. Color the Aleph-Bet (ages 3-6) – http://amzn.to/2t3Z2FB
2. The Hebrew Alphabet: Read, Write & Color (ages 6 & up) – http://amzn.to/2mJR6G5
Check out http://www.MazorBooks.com/hebrew.htm for more information